Friday, August 3, 2012

Sam Started School!

Sam started school yesterday and I can't even believe it!  He was so excited and ready.
We are on year-round here, so yes, he is starting his school year in the middle of summer, but we don't mind.  We were excited. 
He woke up early (as usual) and asked for his favorite breakfast - pancakes in a "pile" of syrup!  He then dressed in the outfit he specifically chose for the occasion.  His "volcano" shirt.  He was done with everything and ready to go at 7:30.  Only one problem, school doesn't start until 8:30! :)
He was so excited and proud to be there.  I noticed that he seemed to be walking a little talker as he crossed the street and proudly replied to a curious crossing guard that it sure was his first day of school!
His teacher is Mrs. McKenna and he (and me too) already love her.  She is kind and helpful and from what I can tell, really knows her stuff.  We met her last week when Sam went in for his evaluation.  I was proud when she came out and told me what a great reader he was and how she would have to start him reading right away.  We also had our humbling moment when she told us he needed to work on his handwriting.  (I blame that one on Seth!) :) 
He was so excited to see her that morning and report in.
When the bell rang he jumped in line and was so excited to be first in line.
When it was time to pick him up I swung by and grabbed Seth so he could be there for it.  When all the little kindergartners were coming out we heard this wailing and I thought, oh poor kid.  Glad it's not mine....We'll I spoke too soon.  It was Sam.  He wasn't able to finish a project at the end of the day because he used all his stickers and placed them too close together so he didn't have enough to finish.  He had a hard time getting over it.

We brought him home and he curled up on the couch in a blankie.  I went and snuggled with him and he said, "I'm just having a hard day."  It was so tender.  I tried to talk through it with him and explain that sometimes things like this happen at school.
I'm not sure what exactly helped him get over his crisis, oh wait, yes I do!  It was his safari train that his dad had gotten him for his special day!  Thank goodnees for trains!
We finished his special day off by going to McDonald's for lunch.  He ate and played like a champ and forgot all bout his "hard day".  He went to bed happy that night and ready for another day of school.  We told him that if he had a great day that we would go get him some star sticker to finish his project.
Friday morning was great.  Sam got to ride his scooter to school and even tried to sneak away with the pack of older boys he used to have to watch go by our house every morning.  I think he felt on top of the world when he realized he was "one of them now."  Don't worry, that didn't last long as his mean-old-mom made him stop and wait at every corner until she caught up! :)
Well, when we picked Sam up from school today his teacher said he did awesome and was great.  He was beaming and couldn't wait to go get some star stickers.  That night we ran out and got them and he worked very hard on finishing his "Hero" hat. 
So proud of this little cutie!
James and Chloe had to get in the action too and each did a great project!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! What a great kid! What a great MOM! :

    ReplyDelete