Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Kennecott Mine

I was looking through our mail this last week and found a coupon to go see the mine for free this week (by the way, anyone can go, you don't need the coupon). I was so excited. It's only $5, but hey, it just is so much more fun when you know you go in for free. So I was telling Seth about it and he said, you know we can go anytime for free because I work for them?! -Well, no actually, after 4 years I still didn't know! Figures!
So we went. It was so AMAZING. Who knew going and seeing that huge 2 mile wide whole and those trucks that are as big as my house could be so fun?!
The boys loved it too. We toured through the Visitor Center and the Gift Shop too. It is amazing the things I learned.
Clay gazing off into the "pit of despair".

I love this shot. See how tiny that "big" school bus looks next to those trucks!

Sam (and some random guy) by one of those huge tires.

Cutie Sam in an old mining car.

James enjoyed things from the "stroller point of view". (I wish someone would have pushed me around all morning so I didn't have to walk!)

Some of my favorite things that I learned were the following two:
They find so many elements while mining. I loved seeing all the different rocks and how beautiful and colorful they were.

And I learned that all the medals from the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake were donated from the metals they found in the mine. That's amazing. Over $100,000worth. And it was "scraps" they found in their copper!

We had such a fun time and the teacher in me could help but think that this was what it was like when my mom was home schooling me and would take me on field trips. You just learn so much more by going and doing. I could see years ahead when my boys are older and we would go and then they would put together little PowerPoint presentations of the things they'd learned. It got me so excited! :)

2 comments:

  1. Holy posts!!! No wonder I haven't you in forever. It looks like your having a blast...and I can't wait until the summer is over so I can have my friend back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids loved visiting the mine too. It is like tonka world.

    ReplyDelete