Thursday, July 16, 2009

My "Summer Salad Splash" Party


So, if you are anything like me you love a good tasty salad in the summer, but you get sick of the same old ones you always make. So to help me with this problem I invited a few neighborhood friends over for a salad party.
It was so fun. The kids just played (and did well I might add) while we women just talked, laughed, and ate our hearts out. Their were some AMAZING salads. I am so grateful to those who came and shared.
The idea was that you were to bring a normal sized salad with recipes to share. We each then got a big plate and tasted each and grabbed recipes. It worked out so well.
I only remembered to take pictures too late, so here are two of the many that were there.


At first I wasn't sure that people would be into the idea, but I was glad that they liked it as much as I did.
As usual I over planned, but that just made it less stressful as I was definately prepared for the party and was therefore able to just enjoy being with neighbors and friends.











Here are some pictures of the party favors I made. I got the "taffy stick" idea off my cousin's blog. Gotta love the blogging!



Here are the recipes we collected:
Summer Salad
Karen M.
2 lbs. Elbow Noodles
1 pkg. Diced Ham
½ lb. Cheddar Cheese
1 Cucumber
¼- ½ Head of Lettuce chopped
Dressing:
1-2 C Mayo
Salt, Pepper, & Onion Salt to taste


5 Cup Salad
Lisa G.
1 C Coconut
1 C Mini-Marshmellows
1 C Mandarin Oranges
1 C Drained Pineapple Chunks
1 C Sour Cream
Mix well, chill and ENJOY!!!


Harvest Salad
Laci S.
Spinach
Romaine Lettuce
½ C Toasted Walnuts chopped
½ C Dried Cranberries
½ C Crumbled Blue Cheese
2 Tomatoes chopped
1 Avocado Diced
½ Onion, thinly sliced
Dressing:
Raspberry or Blush Wine Vinaigrette

Tortellini Pasta Salad
Audrey S.
1 lg. pkg. of Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini
1 pkg. Cherry Tomatoes
1 Fresh Zuccini cut up
½ C Fresh Parmesan Cheese
1 can Sliced Olives
1 bottle of Bernsteins Cheese Fantastico Dressing
Boil pasta, add cut up veggies and cheese, add dressing to taste

Spinach, Chicken, and Bow Tie Pasta
Holly R.
1-10oz. pkg. Baby Spinach
2/3 C Dried Cranberries
3 sm. can mandarin Oranges
2 can Water Chestnuts
½ C Parsley, chopped
1 bunch Green Onions, chopped
¼ C Toasted Sesame Seeds
6 oz. Honey Roasted Peanuts
2 C cooked, diced Chicken
Dressing:
1 C Vegetable Oil
2/3 C Bottled Teriyaki Sauce
2/3 C White Wine Vinegar
6 Tbls. Sugar
½ tsp. Kosher Salt
½ tsp. Pepper
Salad
16 oz. cooked bow tie pasta al dente
Blend dressing in food processor. Add pasta 2 hours before serving. Combine remaining salad ingredients in large bowl, and add pasta with dressing just beforeserving. (Serves 8)


Broccoli Salad
Amanda F.
1 lg. bunch Broccoli cut in to small pieces
½ Red Onion, thinly sliced
1 C Cran-raisins
½ lb. Crispy Bacon crumbled (Cool before added)
2 C finely sliced Mozzarella Cheese
¼ oz. pkg. Sunflower seeds
Dressing:
1 C mayo
2 Tbls. Cider Vinegar
½ C Sugar
Best if served cold.


Mediterranean Pesto-Pasta Salad
Nikki S.
1 13.25 oz. box Whole Grain Penne Pasta
1 6 oz. bag Spinach Leaves
1 9.6 oz. jar Pesto Sauce
1 4 oz. container Feta Cheese
1 4 oz. pkg. Pine Nuts
1 can Blake Olives, cut in half length wise
½ sm purple onion, chopped small
1 12 oz. container Cherub Tomatoes, cut in half
2 6 oz. jars Artichoke Hearts, cut in strips
¾ C Juice from Artichoke Hearts
Cook pasta, rinse. Coat pasta with pesto sauce. Add olives, tomatoes, onions and artichoke hearts; stir together. Add spinach leaves; stir all together. Slowly stir in juice from artichoke hearts. Stir in pine nuts and feta cheese just before serving.

Anaika H. (my favorite of them all)
1 bunch baby leaf spinach
1 bunch Romaine lettuce
1 bunch Green leaf lettuce
2 fuji apples ( or others if preferred)
2 green onions
Grapes
cranraisians
parmesan cheese

Add as much or as little of the fruit as you want to the lettuce.

Carmelized almonds:
3/4 c. slivered almonds
3 T. sugar
2 T. brown sugar

Combine all 3 ingredients in a small non-stick frying pan and cook on medium-high heat stirring constantly. Stir until sugar melts and coats the nuts. (They are done just when you think they are burning) Spread onto a cookie sheet until they are cooled. Break apart and add to salad greens.

Dressing:
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cider vinegar
2 T. poppy seeds
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 c. salad oil
2 tsp. salt
2 T. onion flakes

Mix all ingredients together. Makes 1 quart of dressing. Only use about 1/4 to 1/3 of this amount for the salad. Add to salad just before serving.


And check the post later, as I am still waiting for 2 more recipes that were forgotten, one of which was the BEST!

3 comments:

  1. Yum Yum Yum I think that's a super great idea. AND....those taffy sticks are so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad I missed it but I am excited to try some out. We were partying up at Girls camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the invite. It was great to see ya. need to visit with ya some more,I need a girls night soon....

    ReplyDelete