Thursday, February 10, 2011

Did you feel that?

That's what I had to ask myself the other night after answering my door.
I have a "no soliciting" sign on my door, so when I do get a "solicitor" I am usually a bit annoyed.
Thursday night the doorbell rang and I answered it. It was a very humble looking Peruvian man selling some cookies his wife had made. I told him no thanks and sent him on his way. I went back inside my warm home and started eatting my take out we had gotten when thoughts started flooding my mind.
Here I was comfy as could be eatting deliciously, overpriced food, watching my TV with not really a care in the world, and at my door had been a very nice man who was out in 30 degree (or colder) weather, freezing, trying to sell homemade cookies his wife had made, using his broken English and his best manners...obviously trying to make whatever money he could...and what did I do, I sent him on his way!
I couldn't believe it. I couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to repent, find him, and give him what ever cash/change we had.
I finally couldn't dismiss it anymore and went and talked to Seth about it. He told me I should of course act on my feelings. (What a great husband!)
I got my coat and shoes, raided my wallet, and started driving around my neighborhood. I found him down the street a little ways, and thankfully a neighbor was buying some cookies.
I ran up to him and apoligized for how I had acted. I gave him what I had and wished him luck.
I felt so much better, not because I have so much to give, but because I gave what I could. Seth and I feel so blessed for all that we have been given and have really tried to evaluate our lives and make sure that we are always looking for ways to serve, and we hope that when situations like this arise that we will listen to those promptings and go what we can. After all, "because [we] have been given much [we] too must (want to) give"!

2 comments:

  1. AH My sister I am so proud of you! Had a similar experience myself this week and had to do the doulbe take too and repent. It's all perspective!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Very tender story.

    ReplyDelete