For the first time in literally years I was bored.
Yesterday was a long day. The boys felt it too. So when I got going today I decided to do something about it.
We went to "Grandma's House". Seth's mom wasn't around so we hung out with "Grandpa". It was such a fun day. I love my father-in-law so much. The boys had a great time playing trains with him in his newly "remodeled" train room (Mom M decided to relinquish her dining room to the boys and their trains). Dad M just talked and hung out with me all day. He even took me and Sam out to lunch while James and Mom M took naps.
It was a great time. He of course chose to eat at what he knows to be one of my favorite places to eat....The Cheesecake Factory. It was so da-lish. (I had their new Caramel Chicken-it's to die for)
We had such a good time talking. I learned of his Home Teaching experiences that are near and dear to him and it let me see more into his sweet soul. I then asked him to tell me about how he and Seth's Mom met, since I for some reason had still never heard the story.
It was a great story. It was even better to see and hear him talk about the story and the way he looked and spoke when speaking of Mom M.
Bill (Dad M) worked for a movie theater in Provo to pay his way through BYU. During the summer he was to go up to Idaho to cover for the theater manager there who was going on vacation for a week.
His first day there he saw "a beautiful little blond in a mini-skirt taking tickets" as he tells it. He said she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen and that he knew right away that he was going to marry her. He said "she really did take my ticket that day".
He said he was also drawn to her due to the fact that she wasn't a member of the church (LDS) and so he got the missionaries in there right away. He has always been very missionary minded.
Well, that was the summer that they met and that November they were married. He said it was the same for her too. She got that conformation and knew he was the one.
She moved down to Provo and began at BYU. She got baptized before they were married. They were married in a Presbyterian church, by a Presbyterian minister and were then sealed a little over a year later in February.
So he tells me this story and then says, by the way, did I mention I was engaged when I met Karla (Mom M). I stopped and said, "what?!" He said it all worked out well in the end, after all, how could it not when everyone involved felt the rightness of him and Karla.
To end the story he said, "Every time I see that engagement picture of us I think, how did a goofy looking guy like me get a looker like her."

I loved the day I spent with my father-in-law. It was good to get to know him better and see how alike he and Seth are. They are both such loving, generous, brilliant, missionary minded, valiant men who knew right away who they really were going to marry, even if they had both been engaged before then and didn't hesitate in doing so.....and I'm so grateful neither of them did! :)
Oh my heck!!!! Seth is his mini-me!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is great! How wonderful you recorded this story for you kids.
ReplyDelete