Mother's Day was exactly that. It was a great day where I got to practice how to be a good mother. Seth was sick and the boys had a hard day at church so it was home early with a lot of loved ones to care for.
I had a choice. I could either play the, "woe is me" card or suck it up and be grateful that I have the family I have always wanted and I am able to take care of them...besides they are always so cute when they're tired and sick.
Talking with my sister-in-law, Amy, I learned a valuable lesson that I hope I will remember for the rest of my life. She has a friend who got married later in life to a man with 2 teenage kids. They were married a few years and had a child with the second on the way when he was killed in a car accident. This woman now has a child, had to have one alone, and is raising the 2 teenage children she "inherited". She is upbeat and loving life. While talking to Amy she said, "You know. I got what I wanted. The husband, the family....it just didn't last as long as I had thought it would."
What an amazing perspective. I hope to live that truth. I have the husband I have always dreamed of, the family I have always wanted, and the house where we are all happy and safe. I do have everything I have ever wanted.
So to this credit I had an amazing Mother's day. It even ended great when the boys and Seth came up with a cute card and coupons they had made me with money in it (granted, the money was from my wallet :), but the thought was sweet!). :)
These are the things that really matter. When Sam and James each said to me, "Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you." What can top that?! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment