Sam checked a book out at the library a while ago about rabbits. Since then he has been obsessed with them. He has learned everything he can about them. From how to care for them to what they like to what not to do to how to train them.
This last week he told me he had a great idea for what to get Dad for Father's Day....a rabbit. I told him that I'd think about it.
A few days later he came up to me and told me that he didn't think he should still get Dad a rabbit for Father's Day because the reason he wanted to get it was because he wanted it, not Dad. :)
After all his research and pleading (and more research on my part) I decided that getting a rabbit would be good for Sam. I think when kids are old enough, having a pet to take care of everyday is a great way to learn responsibility. So when he got out of school on Friday I told him we could go get one. He was so excited. He had decided that he wanted a pointy eared rabbit, a Rex. So off we went to find one.
We found a family near by that was selling some bunnies they just had. From the pictures we saw Sam chose the one with the coloring he liked most. It was a girl. On the drive there he decided he would name her Suzie Hops-a-lot.
When we got there Sam changed his mind and fell in love with a little boy bunny with gray eyes, ears, and a strip down his back. He decided to name him Tom. Chloe added her two cents worth and told Sam a good middle name would be Olaf.
Sam was so cute that first day with his bunny. He would just lay there and watch him, getting him out occasionally to run around and play.Sam had read in his book that rabbits love to hop through boxes, so within minutes of bringing the little guy home I had boxes all over the kitchen for little Tom to hop through.
Snuggles wasn't quite sure about this new little thing we brought home. She would just follow Tom around trying to figure out what it was.
Sam of course had to "groom" the bunny right away as well.
We took Tom outside and he loved hopping around eating grass.
This weekend I did my best to build a hutch for Tom so that we could keep him outside. I was pretty proud of myself. Not bad for using scrap wood we had. We just need to paint it up and put a roof on now.
No comments:
Post a Comment