Sadly, my back "went out" Monday, April 11. I was simply putting laundry away when I suddenly had a huge pain and had to drop to the floor. I tried to tell myself that this wasn't happening again, so I tried to calm myself down and get up. Nope. There was NO way.
I called to Sam who brought me my phone. I called my great friend and neighbor, Julie, who came and saved the day. She came right over and got Chloe out of her crib, changed diapers, dressed kids, fed them, and then helped me down stairs and stayed with me until Seth could get home. I was so grateful for her and how blessed I am to have great people around me.
Needless to say, it was a LONG week! Seth's mom and my mom were here throughout the week to help and they did so much. Laundry was magically cleaned and put away, food was cooked, the ironing got done....
My mom drove the kids and I down to her house on Thursday so that we could give Seth a brake and be down there for when I got into the doctor's. Seth was amazing. He had to be dad and mom 24/7. He would have to get up with the kids and night, bring me Chloe, take her back when she was done eating...
I spent Thursday and Friday at my parent's and got the doctor's on Friday. Turns out, after a clinical exam, that I torn a disc in my low back. They think that it's and annular tear, the most minimal of 4 different types of tears. I went to my chiropractor 3 times for adjustments, massage therapy, and decompression treatments. After 2 weeks I felt much better and was able to move around again.
Getting mobile again was tough. It is hard for me to make wise decisions of what I can and should do so that I give myself time to heal and re cooperate.
I am so grateful that I have so many great people around me who are so willing to help. It is hard for me to accept it all, but I am learning....slowly. :)
After all this we did have a funny little experience. Sam came limping up to me one night and said, "my back hurts, I can't move". We just had to laugh! :)
pallet bookshelves
13 years ago
Oh no, Karen!!! I hope you're feeling much better. Back pain is THE worst!!! Wish I could be there to help you. :( Thank goodness you have amazing friends and that your mom lives close!!!
ReplyDeleteI love you and I'm so glad you don't need surgery! Listen to your body and take it easy, even when the demands of 3 small children say otherwise. You're not the only one who has learned the hard way. You're a fantastic Mother and friend!
ReplyDelete